The mission of Steps Beyond Remediation, Inc. is to address equity issues of access and success in higher education by offering culturally-affirming, faith-based, academically rigorous programs and initiatives for mature low-income students, and students of color, specifically those who have placed into developmental English as a pre- or co-requisite to college-level coursework. We explicitly seek to serve African-Americans and other groups traditionally underserved in higher education, by focusing on the unique synergy and strength of one’s heritage, overt and unwritten societal and cultural norms, and the importance of the village.
The vision of Steps Beyond Remediation, Inc.is to work harmoniously and in partnership with communities of faith and justice who recognize the inherent dignity of life, and encourage the continuous intellectual growth of groups traditionally underserved in higher education, as well as civic responsibility, personal fulfillment, and excellence in service to others.
Our Core Values and Guiding Principles
- We respect and affirm the dignity of the individual.
- Through the vehicle of education and academic engagement, particularly in the humanities, we seek to move students beyond remedial education, college, and into the workforce.
- We seek to serve with integrity, simplicity, and excellence in all of our practices and initiatives.
- We uphold and adhere to a credo of economic and social justice for all by providing genuine opportunities and educational pathways for underserved and marginalized individuals to sustain their families.
- We intend to make positive and continuous contributions to the health and well-being of communities and individuals.